Sunday 3 February 2008

Challenge #10

This week's challenge is brough to you by Jamie! Here it is:


The 'mood' of my scrapbooks can fluctuate from the happiest of moments to ones that make me want to stand back and take a good look around. Sure, we want to enjoy them and smile as we look through them, but I like to use my scrapbooks as a more than just photo albums. I use my layouts to document who I am...the good, the bad, and the sometimes kind of ugly! :) So this week, why don't we focus on a lesson learned or a moment that makes us appreciate what we have.

Here we go...

Have you ever done something so silly or stupid that it almost takes your breath away? You know, that moment when you freak out? Or when something teaches you a lesson? Okay, so let's journal something that scared us, freaked us out, or taught us a lesson...it doesn't have to be personal...it could be about someone else, like your kid, hubby, or pet. Try journaling about the actual event and how it made you feel.

My journaling:

My Scariest Day...My dumbest moment...

If you ask, I'll have to say that up until now, hands down, the most terrifying moment of my adult life was the day I left the house after putting a pot of eggs on to boil. Elizabeth and I ran up to the Target, oblivious of the danger. It wasn't until we were in the Taco Bell drive thru, an hour later, that I realized I'd left the eggs boiling. We raced home, praying all the way, hoping not to see smoke. We were lucky, so lucky, all was okay.
(This part of my journaling is tucked in the envelope)
When we pulled in the driveway, we could smell the burning, and I could only think about my cat who was locked inside. I raced to the window to take a look, and there was a thick haze of smoke...no flames...phew! Trixie was fine and dandy...hanging out in the back bedroom, away from the smoke, thank goodness. All was okay, except for the splattered eggs all over my kitchen (they blew up!) and the rancid smell that lingered for two days.
When I look back at these photos, I can still feel the panic that welled up in me, and I thank God that more damage was not done...we could have lost so much! My kitty, our scrapbooks, David's heirloom gun, the video of our wedding, Elizabeth's first 'Roll Tide' onesie...I am so thankful...so thankful.



6 comments:

Nicole Drewniak said...

My dh has done this too but he did it with chicken soup. He has not lived it down to this day!

Stella said...

Ok, see I have a question...Jamie, how did you do that title? I love the way it is distressed to go with the look of the burnt eggs. Great page!

Anonymous said...

I used Bobunny stickers for the title...can't remember the name of the exact line but it seems like it had the word 'wood' in the title...They look really distressed, but they actually came that way! ;)

Unknown said...

Love this challenge, Jamie!! I've got a scariest moment ... it haunts me all the time. Let's see if I can scrap it. In the meantime, your page is fabulous! I really love the way you've journaled on the black envelope .. it's almost like writing on a chalkboard. Perfect with the rest of the design on your page. Soooo happy that you didn't have more damage from the exploding eggs ... and didn't lose any scrapbooks!

tonya said...

you were so lucky! I always have that secret fear, when I'm far away from home "did I leave something on?" SO happy it was OK for you! Cute LO too!

Beverley Todd said...

Great page! Brough back memories of a chip pan fire at our home when I was about 6 - my dad left that one on!