Wednesday 9 April 2008

Colette's Take

Here is Colette's take:



The Hat by Colette Bate

It seems to me my whole life has been spent being responsible for someone else. As a child I was the oldest of 3 girls and was often required to take my little sisters with me, which made me accountable for their safety and punishable for any crimes they might have committed. I became a wife and mother at 18, which was sort of the same as taking care of little sisters, so my role in life didn't seem to change much.

Most of my working life was spent being liable for the jobs others did. And, in retirement I found myself volunteering for a role in my community pledged to see that neighbors felt welcome, informed, and entertained. As a widow I've become the matriarch of my family and feel responsible for the happiness, stability, and financial security for my children and their families.

This hat of responsibility can be hard to wear. But, in hindsight, it seems to be my apparel of choice; whether I'm wearing it as a mother, sister, grandmother, daughter, an in-law, relative, neighbor, partner, employer, client, or friend. It's rare that I take the hat off ... even when I'm alone with my thoughts. And, although I'm often surprised that I'm capable of wearing it, I must admit that I don't like the way it messes my hair.

***NOTE: Colette used products by this month's sponsor Cosmo Cricket for this LO!****

9 comments:

Nicole Drewniak said...

I love your journaling and how you shared a piece of your life with us with a touch of humor too! Superb job!

Anonymous said...

Colette, you've done it again! This is amazing...your journaling is so thoughtful, and the details on your layout are perfection. Thank you so much for sharing yet another wonderful layout with us!

Beverley Todd said...

Fabulous as always hun! I can totally see you in that role of all things to all people - I think I'll come live next door to you! LOL

vintage girl at heart said...

Very touching and boy it hits home with me!!!
Wonderful layout.......just love it!!

QueenTracy said...

First of all I love your layout design! I may just have to scraplift it. :-) Your journaling was wonderful to read..so insightful and thoughtful. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

You guys are so awesome! Thank you so much for your very nice comments and sweet compliments. It's often hard to know 'how much' to put out there ... you know? But, it's also good to hear that it 'strikes a chord' with people who read it.

Big hugs, ladies ... and thanks for being so supportive and encouraging!

runrgirl said...

This is so personal, wonderful and touching--the journaling, that is. And the LO is quite lovely too.

Gina said...

LOVE this lo!!!! Great job!!!!

Stefanie said...

I think it is stunning too, wonderful design and thought provoking journaling. TFS.